Forums

Error while loading comments response code 500

1. I'm getting response code 500 when I try to load comments on WordPress BlackBerry:

Error while loading blog:
    Error while loading comments -
    Server returned HTTP response code 500

I don't see any 500 codes in my server access.log.

I can access posts fine.

Comments used to work a month or so ago; no idea what changed to break it.

BlackBerry Bold 9930
    wp-blackberry/1.5.1
    WordPress 3.1.3
    Theme Twenty Ten with 7 Widgets

I'd appreciate any help.

2. Take a look at the php error log on your server. There should be a detailed description of the error.

3. Thanks for the reply. I enabled php logging ("@ini_set('log_errors','On');", etc.), but there was no error at all in there. I'm pretty sure logging was working because I got some unrelated warnings to show up there. Do you have more debugging advice?

Thanks again.

4. Turn on the debug feature (within the setup screen) and with that enabled try to download comments.
    Then take a look at the log file located at the following location: /store/home/user/wordpress/log* (or at /SDCard/BlackBerry/wordpress/log*)

If this doesn't help you should try with the default theme and with no active plug-ins.

(Trying it with the default theme and plugins disabled will help pin down where the problem is. If everything works then you go back and enable your theme and then try it again. If everything still works then you go back and activate each plugin one at a time until you find the one that is causing the breakage.)

5. I enabled debug as you said and tried a bunch of different things. Here's what I found out. My xmlrpc.php dies silently and for no apparent reason when it tries to return more than 20 comments in response to wp.getComments. The Blackberry WP client requests 100 comments, triggering the failure. When the xmlrpc.php dies, the client gets response code 500.

FYI I used to have hundreds of SPAM comments, but I deleted them all so now I only have about 25 approved comments. It didn't make a difference in preventing the error.

I narrowed the failure down to some recursive method calls in class-IXR.php: IXR_Value() and getXml(). They chug through about 20 comments, then stop and the script dies. I thought maybe there was a memory leak in those methods causing a crash. Oddly I can run xmlrpc.php on the command line and request 100 comments and it works just fine. It only fails when the request comes from the internet, i.e. the web server. I have no idea how to debug that.

Anyway I have worked around the problem for now by hacking xmlrpc.php to limit all wp.getComments requests to 10 comments. Not a permanent or satisfying solution, but at least I can use the Blackberry client to see the last 10 comments which is better than nothing. (Exactly 10 better.)

Thanks again. I learned a lot going through this.

6. I think you should change the memory limit settings on your php installation. Take a look at this sticky thread : http://blackberry.forums.wordpress.org/topic/out-of-memory-when-uploading-video?replies=3

7. One more things, did you try with the default theme and with no active plug-in?
    (Plugins/Themes could break the XML-RPC server).
    Trying it with the default theme and plugins disabled will help pin down where the problem is. If everything works then you go back and enable your theme and then try it again. If everything still works then you go back and activate each plugin one at a time until you find the one that is causing the breakage.

8. Unfortunately those php_value commands in .htaccess broke the script; everything returns error code 500. I'm not sure I applied them correctly.

I have the default theme I think (Twenty Ten 1.2) and no plug-ins activated.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.